Sundance is all about celebrating the independent filmmaker against the backdrop of beautiful Park City, Utah and the Rocky Mountains. So what better place to showcase eco-chic creativity with a decidedly unique twist?
Our favorite crafter & designer, Mark Montano, hosted a celebrity crafting event on January 17 and 18th amidst the buzz of Sundance. Celebs were silkscreening, embellishing and upcycling alongside Mark. Many walked away with urban corsages, one of the clever projects from Mark’s very popular Big Ass Book of Crafts.
Want one of your own?
- 2 pieces of 11″ x 3″ fabric (with edges that fray are the best)
- Faux flowers & leaves
- Amazing E-6000 Craft Adhesive
- Different colors of thread
- Sewing machine with zigzag stitch capabilities
- Place your fabric pieces on top of each other and zigzag stitch them all around, about 1/2 inch in from all four sides. One piece of fabric is the outside and the other is the inside. Kind of like a fat watchband with a button closure instead of a buckle.
- Arrange your leaves and zig zag stitch them onto the cuff.
- Take your faux flower apart and zig zag stitch it to the center.
- Cut out hearts, stars, random shapes and zig zag stitch them around your flower.
- Stitch three buttons to one side of your flower (for different wrist sizes)
- Wrap the cuff around your wrist to figure out where the button holes should go and mark the placement. If your sewing machine has a button hole setting, stitch one in. If it doesn’t you can cute a slit and stitch the edges of the cut.
- Using E-6000, add rhinestones to the center of the flower and the cuff.
- Accessorize with your favorite jeans and t-shirt and show it off!
What if I don’t have a sewing machine? No worries! Glue is a wonderful thing. You can glue most of the elements on this project that require sewing.
Mark adds, “You can also use velcro dots instead of a button and button hole, this way you can immediately fit them to different sized wrists.”
E-6000 is waterproof. It does need some time to fully dry, so we suggest waiting 24-hours before wearing your cuff. Enjoy!